The United States of America is weakened, when we are a polarized, self – interest – based society, which places any specific, personal/ political agenda, ahead of the common good. We were founded, imperfectly, but, based on the principle, which demands, everyone is entitled to the same rights, freedoms, and liberties, whether we agree with their positions and beliefs, or not! The constant focus of our present administration, on pitting one segment against another, using rhetoric/ vitriol, and seemingly, articulating a message, appealing to prejudice, bias and racism, is against, what has, always, made America great! Isn’t it ironic, the candidate, whose slogan was, Make America Great Again, articulates, such a different approach, in office? This nation has always been the beacon, for HUMAN rights, throughout the world, and, must do so, presently, and, in the future, or risk, defending specific freedoms and rights, in the longer – term. With that in mind, this article will briefly, attempt, to consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means, and why it is essential, for us, to defend, the concept, and practice, of, liberty and justice, for all, and equal protection of the law.
1. Head/ heart; humane; healing: Wouldn’t we benefit, from an emphasis on healing the divisions, and the world, rather than making them, more pronounced? In Hebrew, there is a term, tikun olam, which means, healing the world, and, if, we all made an attempt, to proceed, in a more humane attitude and approach, we would all benefit! If we could proceed, in way, where we balanced our emotional and logical components, with a head/ heart balance, we would become closer, to our rights!
2. Useful; urgent: If people worked together, it would be far more useful, and effective, than when, we are urged to be adversaries, by certain political leaders! The emphasis must be, on priorities, and addressing, urgent needs, in a timely, well – considered manner!
3. Make mark; motivate; mean it: Most political, fact – checkers, have stated, our present President, has used misstatements, and lies, at a pace, never before witnessed! Our leaders must maintain integrity, and demonstrate, they mean, what they say, consistently! How a leader, makes his mark, and how he articulates his message, often determine, whether citizens will be motivated, in a positive, unifying way, or a divided one!
4. Attitude; aptitude; attention; articulate; actions: We need to elect public officials, with a positive, can – do, attitude, and a well – developed aptitude, and skill – set, combined with a willingness to pay attention, to serving the best interests of most Americans! The message, articulated, must align with his actions, and, hopefully, focus on serving all of humanity, in a sane manner!
5. Needs: It’s all about, needs, but whose needs, does that official, serve and represent! We have witnessed, when a vocal minority, inspired by someone’s personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, have directed our government’s focus!
Wake up, America, before, we no longer have a nation, we can be proud of, and the rest of the world, looks to, as a beacon of light, for human rights! Will you be a responsible citizen, and voter?